Editorial Team- blkpediatricpractice.com
Centre for Child Health
BLK Super Speciality Hospital
Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has Guidelines for Management of Seasonal Influenza based on their clinical category-
- Patients with mild fever plus cough / sore throat with or without bodyache, headache, diarrhoea and vomiting.
- No testing of the patient for Influenza is required.
- They do not require Oseltamivir
- Should be treated symptomatically only
- Should be confined to home and should be reassessed at 24 to 48 hours by the doctor.
Category-B: This category has 2 groups-
- Category B(i)- Category-A symptoms PLUS high grade fever and severe sore throat
- Oseltamivir may be given in this group as per clinical discretion of the physician
- Category B(ii)-Category-A symptoms PLUS individuals having one or more of the following high risk conditions
- Pregnant women
- Persons aged 65 years or older
- Patients with lung diseases, heart disease, liver disease
- Kidney disease, blood disorders, diabetes, neurological disorders, cancer and HIV/AIDS
- Patients on long term systemic steroids therapy(not Inhaled steroids)
- Oseltamivir should be given in this group
- No tests for Influenza is required for Category-B (i) and (ii).
- Category-B patients should confine themselves at home and avoid mixing with high risk members in the family.
- Broad Spectrum antibiotics as per the Guideline for Community- acquired pneumonia (CAP) may be prescribed in Category B(ii) patients
Category-A or B patients PLUS has one or more of the following:
- Breathlessness, chest pain, drowsiness, fall in blood pressure, sputum mixed with blood, bluish discolorationof nails
- Children with red flag signs (Somnolence, high and persistent fever, inability to feed well, convulsions, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing, etc).
- Worsening of underlying chronic conditions.
All these patients mentioned above in Category-C require testing, immediate hospitalization in isolation wards and treatment with Oseltamivir.
Did you find this post helpful?
15 People found this post helpful.
Read more related information, Click Here
If you have a question on some other topic, Click Here