Centre for Child Health, BLK Super Speciality Hospital
- Proteins are normal constituent of urine and are excreted normally in range of 50 to 150mg/day and mostly originate from renal tubules.
- Excess excretion of Proteins in urine i.e. Proteinuria is always a hall mark of renal pathology
- Uristix can be used to screen for proteinuria as it has a High sensitivity but moderate specificity.
- Urine protein / creatinine ratio in first morning sample is a better way to check for proteinuria. Its normal value in children is 0.2.
- Urine microalbumim / creatinine ratio (<30mg/gm) is an early indicator of renal injury in Hypertension, Diabetes, Vascular Disease.
- 24 hour urine protein measurement in children is rarely required.
Did you find this post helpful?
12 People found this post helpful.
Read more related information, Click Here
If you have a question on some other topic, Click Here