Editorial Team- blkpediatricpractice.com
Centre for Child Health
BLK Super Speciality Hospital
History of last tetanus toxoid booster or DPT vaccine should be asked for and wound assessment should be done to ascertain if its a minor or major and if its a clean or contaminated wound.
Because of the presence of the cow and horse dung on most Indian roads, such injuries are considered tetanus prone even if minor.
A Tetanus Toxoid (TT) booster is required in following situations-
- Any type of injury where last dose of TT or DPT was administered more than 10 years ago
- Large/Major or contaminated injuries where last TT or DPT dose was administered more than 5yrs back
- In any injury where history of last TT or DPT cannot be obtained with certainty or unimmunized or not completed the primary 3 doses of DPT in first year of life.
A Tetanus Toxoid (TT) booster is NOT required if –
- Any type of injury where last dose of TT or DPT was administered in last 5 years
- Minor or clean injuries where last TT or DPT dose was administered in last 10 yrs.
Note:Excess or too frequent doses of TT blunt the effect of vaccine, in addition to accentuating the side effects of the vaccine with every dose.
Did you find this post helpful?
23 People found this post helpful.
Read more related information, Click Here
If you have a question on some other topic, Click Here